Oh, the simplicity of a dump cake. There's nothing quite as easy (or delicious!) as a dessert like this, and with recipes that are almost too good to re-create, it makes sense why this after-dinner treat gained so much popularity. Made by dumping boxed cake mix and fruit (or in this case, sweet potatoes) into a dish, dump cakes are quite possibly the easiest baking project you'll ever attempt, but no one has to know your secret to such a flavorful and moist cake!
Just in time for Thanksgiving and chilly fall nights, this sweet potato dump cake recipe from TikTok can be whipped up whenever the craving strikes. Perfect for a treat after apple picking or as a side with your pumpkin pie (two desserts are better than one!), this dish will let everyone dig into the sweet flavors of fall. Check out the easy recipe ahead, and get ready enjoy the deliciousness of dump cake.
- • 3 large sweet potatoes
• 1/4 milk (or water from boiling potatoes)
• 2 sticks of butter
• white and brown sugar (no more than 1/2 cup of each)
• 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
• 1 teaspoon ginger
• 1 tablespoon nutmeg
• 1 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
• 1 box of yellow, vanilla, or spice cake mix
- Peel, slice, and boil sweet potatoes until tender. Mash them up.
- While hot, add 1/2 stick of unsalted butter to potatoes. Stir.
- Add the vanilla, nutmeg, ginger, and cinnamon. Add a sprinkle of salt. Then add sugar and the milk. Stir.
- Spread the sweet potato filling into a pan. Sprinkle on the cake mix and spread it out. Top with slices of butter.
- Bake at 350 until the top is golden brown. It should take about 45 minutes, but oven times may vary, so be sure to check on it. Let the cake cool for 15 to 20 minutes, and enjoy!
- 1 dump cake
- Prep Time
- 20 minutes
- Cook Time
- 45 minutes
- Total Time
- 1 hour, 4 minutes, 59 seconds