If you thought oatmeal could only be dressed with cinnamon, sugar, fruit, and sweet toppings, you're so wrong! This savory spin on the classic breakfast will mess with your mind a little bit, but I promise it'll also blow you away with its flavors. When I was digging into this dish, I felt like it was breakfast inception — my brain knew oatmeal to be sweet, but my taste buds were getting ALL the spicy and savory flavors.
This is a quick, fresh, and unique option to whip up any day of the week. This recipe yields about four to five hefty portions, making it absolutely perfect for roommates or when you have a few brunch guests over. You'll want to prepare all of your ingredients before getting started, so make sure to chop all of your veggies very small, because you want them to blend into your oatmeal seamlessly rather than have huge chunks throughout. I used Kodiak Cakes Protein Oats because they are crafted with whole grains and provide about 10 grams of protein in each serving, but any classic rolled oats will do for this recipe.
The aroma of the medley of veggies and spices will set the stage for this dish, have your kitchen smelling delicious, and have your mouth watering before digging in. When you simmer your oats down to soften and absorb all of your liquid, be sure to mix periodically so your veggies don't stick or burn at the bottom of your pot. I topped my oats with an over-easy egg and sliced avocado, but you could even add some beans, bacon, or breakfast sausage to make this a full breakfast setup. The mild spice from the jalapeño gives the right amount of heat without being overpowering, and finishing this dish with a creamy chipotle aioli is the perfect final detail.
I used a Kraft chipotle aioli for this recipe, but feel free to make your own desired sauce.
- 4 eggs
2 cups chopped white mushrooms
1 sweet onion (chopped)
1 red bell pepper (chopped small)
1/2 jalapeno (chopped small)
2-3 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
Salt/pepper for taste
2 cups Kodiak Cakes Protein Oats
3 1/4 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 tablespoons chipotle aioli
- Add your olive oil to a medium pot on medium heat. Once warm, add in your pepper and onions and sauté for 5-7 minutes.
- Add in your butter, mushrooms, and jalapeño, and sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Add in your garlic and all of your seasonings and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add your chicken broth and oats, mix well with sautéed veggies, and let simmer for 10 minutes, or until your oats are soft and have absorbed all the liquid.
- Remove from heat and stir in your shredded cheese.
- Cook 4 eggs over easy (4 servings).
- Plate your oats, lay your egg on top, lay 4-5 slices of fresh avocado. Drizzle with chipotle aioli, and dig in!
- Eggs, Breakfast/Brunch
- 4 servings
- Prep Time
- 5 minutes
- Cook Time
- 25 minutes
- Total Time
- 29 minutes, 59 seconds