Comfort food comes in all shapes and sizes, but one of my favorites is a good ole bowl of soup. And the best kinds are the ones where you can throw in everything and go on with your day while the ingredients do all the work. Plus, there are so many to choose from, including seasonal recipes like curried pumpkin and butternut squash.
Ruby Tuesday's white chicken chili checks all the boxes and then some. The hearty soup is packed with protein, veggies, and a hodgepodge of herbs and spices. While the chili does take a bit on the longer side to cook (a total of three hours), it's worth every spoonful. Although, do be warned: this isn't a recipe you can spring on last minute. Because the beans need to soak overnight, it will require some planning.
Rich in flavor and color yet light on the stomach, this soup is a showstopper you can serve all year round!
Try adding 1/4 cup shredded carrots for extra flavor.
- 6 cups chicken stock
1 pound great northern beans (soaked in water overnight)
2 medium onions, chopped
6 cups chicken, diced cooked
2 jalapeño peppers, seeded & diced
2 chili peppers, diced
1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
2 teaspoons cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup salsa
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pinch salt (to taste)
- The night before, soak the beans in water in an airtight container.
- Prep all your veggies. In a large pot, simmer beans, half the onions, and half the garlic in the chicken stock for two hours, or until the beans soften. Stir frequently.
- Add the cooked chicken and salsa. In a separate saucepan, sauté the peppers, spices, and remaining onions and garlic in the oil. Add everything to the chili and simmer for another hour.
- Garnish with sour cream, Monterey Jack cheese, and fresh chopped cilantro.
- Chili, Main Dishes
- 6-8 servings
- Prep Time
- 12 hours 15 minutes
- Cook Time
- 3 hours
- Total Time
- 15 hours, 14 minutes, 59 seconds