I've never been to the famous Levain Bakery in New York City, but as someone who loves to bake, their copycat recipes have been sitting on my Pinterest boards for years. I follow other famous New York bakeries like Magnolia and Milk Bar, but I was always too intimidated to try to re-create their famous sweets — until I spotted a viral TikTok tutorial for making Levain's chocolate chip cookies.
Levain's cookies, which have been dubbed "New York City's most famous cookies," are massive, puffy, and beautifully soft and gooey. Watching somebody else re-create them from such a simple recipe was the nudge that I needed to give them a try, and I'm so glad I did. I hunted for the perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe for years, trying every food blogger hack I could find, from chilling the dough overnight to doubling the vanilla. This recipe requires none of those, and it's almost too simple for how delicious it is. You cream the butter and sugar, add eggs, then add your dry ingredients to that mixture and finish with chocolate chips. You will need cake flour, but you can easily substitute with regular flour and cornstarch.
When I want a chocolate chip cookie, I usually want it right then, so I love that these cookies can be made right away, without the need to chill the dough, and that they still stay soft.
This recipe may have stopped my hunt for the perfect chocolate chip cookie, but I'm still visiting Levain as soon as I get the chance to see how it measures up!
I tweaked the original recipe by adding a teaspoon of salt to bring out the flavor. This recipe will make 2-3 dozen cookies, depending on how big your cookies are. I used a larger cookie scoop (about two tablespoons) and ended up with two dozen cookies. Calories are calculated for one cookie out of a batch of two dozen.
- 1 cup of salted butter (2 sticks), cold
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups cake flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 410 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cream the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cornstarch, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Drop cookie dough, using approximately two tablespoons of dough for each cookie, onto your baking sheet. Feel free to use less or more for smaller or larger cookies.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes, or until the edges of the cookie are golden brown. The exterior of the cookie will brown quickly, leaving the interior soft and doughy, so keep a close eye on these. Smaller cookies will bake faster.
- Cool on the baking sheet (or devour immediately like I did) and enjoy!
- Approx. 3 dozen
- Prep Time
- 15 minutes
- Cook Time
- 30 minutes
- Total Time
- 44 minutes, 59 seconds
- Calories per serving