During the cozy fall months, there's only one thing I reach for to keep me warm from the inside out, and that's a giant bowl of hearty, homemade chili. Chili, with its seemingly unlimited variations, can be made to satisfy a meat-lover's ravenous palette, to fortify a plant-based eater's plate, or to provide a balanced meal to someone who's craving a little bit of everything. This recipe, One-Pot Quinoa Turkey Chili, does the latter.
The ingredients in this quinoa turkey chili are few, but still balanced for a hearty meal: ground turkey, quinoa, crushed tomatoes, diced onions, and a homemade spice blend. The ground turkey in this dish provides lean protein, quinoa adds fiber and nutrients, and the remaining ingredients bring major flavor to create a filling and satisfying meal-in-one that's perfect for a cozy fall or winter night in.
Another major perk of this chili is that it's made using just one heavy-bottomed pot. So, say goodbye to juggling between simmering pots and pans to create a delicious meal, and say hello to this one-pot wonder that's sure to satisfy any chili lover's taste buds with as little fuss as possible.
- 1 lb ground turkey
1 medium red onion, diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons oregano
1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
4 cups water
1 (28 oz) can of crushed tomatoes (no salt added)
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
1 (15.5 oz) can black beans (no salt added, rinsed)
- Assemble your spice mix by combining all spices in a small ramekin or bowl. Set aside.
- Drizzle olive oil into a large pot and preheat on medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add diced onions and cook until translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add ground turkey and 1 tablespoon of spice mix to onions. Cook until meat is 90 percent done (fully browned on the outside with a little pink on the inside).
- Transfer turkey and onion mixture to a separate bowl.
- In the same pot that you cooked the turkey in, pour in all 4 cups of water and the entire can of crushed tomatoes. Add in rinsed quinoa and the remainder of your spice mix. Stir to incorporate.
- Bring to a boil, then cover the pot and reduce to simmer for 9 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 9 minutes, add one can of rinsed beans, one can (the one the beans came in) of water, and the turkey and onion mixture that you set aside earlier to the quinoa/tomato mix.
- Cover again and simmer on low for 5-10 more minutes, or until the quinoa is fluffy and the turkey is thoroughly cooked through.
- Serve with chives, sour cream, shredded cheese, or the toppings of your choice.
- Main Dishes
- 4 servings
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 25 minutes
- Total Time
- 34 minutes, 59 seconds