If the inviting aroma of apple spice entices you, and a piece of your heart lives in the Most Magical Place on Earth year-round, then a) we should probably be friends, and b) this original apple pie recipe from Whispering Canyon Cafe at Disney's Wilderness Lodge in Disney World is about to rock your world.
At first glance, it may seem intimidating, but this recipe can be broken down into three basic components: a dough, a batter, and an apple filling. And while some work is required to get each element of this delicious pie ready for assembly, each one can be easily achieved by bakers of any skill range, with just a dash of patience and a sprinkle of pixie dust.
Here are a couple of tips that I learned along the way. This recipe requires steaming six-sliced apples. You can use a steaming basket over a pot of water as the recipe calls for, or place a metal colander over a few inches of simmering water with a lid overtop. Also, make sure to create two or three slits in the center of the aluminum after covering the pie for its first bake. This will allow the center of the pie to cook evenly.
Note: steam apples after slicing.
The perfect addition to any holiday table or a cozy family night in, Disney's apple pie from Whispering Canyon Cafe is sure to become a delicious new staple in your magical-recipe repertoire.
This recipe has been converted from a larger quantity in the restaurant kitchens. The flavor profile may vary from the restaurant’s version. While preparing this recipe, please supervise children who are helping or nearby.
Cut 2-3 slits in the center of the aluminum after covering the pie for its first bake. This will allow the center of the pie to cook evenly.
- Pie Crust:
4 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
1/4 cup shortening
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons sugar
1/8 teaspoon coarse salt
1/3 cup 2 percent milk
- Apple Filling:
1 cup water
6 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced
2 teaspoons apple pie spice
- Apple Pie Batter:
1/2 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup heavy cream
For the Pie Crust:
- Combine butter, shortening, flour, sugar, and salt in bowl of electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix at medium speed until crumbly.
- Add milk and mix until incorporated.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and rest in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Roll to 1/4-inch thickness and place in a greased, 9-inch pie plate.
- Set aside.
For the Apples:
- Bring water to simmer in large pot.
- Place apples in a steamer basket and add to pot. Steam for 10 minutes. Remove from water.
- Cool to room temperature and toss with apple pie spice.
For the Apple Pie Batter:
- Cream butter and sugar in bowl of stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment until fluffy. Add eggs and mix until just incorporated.
- Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in small bowl. Slowly add to mixer and beat on medium speed until combined with butter mixture.
- Add cream and mix until smooth.
- Set aside until ready to bake.
Assembling the Apple Pie:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place 1/2 cup apple pie batter on top of pie crust and spread until smooth. Top with apples, and then the remaining apple pie batter.
- Cover with foil (making sure to poke two or three holes in the aluminum) and bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Cool to room temperature before serving. If desired, top pie with sliced almonds, and dust with confectioners' sugar once cooled.
- 8 slices
- Prep Time
- 90 minutes
- Cook Time
- 60 minutes
- Total Time
- 2 hours, 29 minutes, 59 seconds