What if we told you that you could have your cake and eat it, too . . . for breakfast? These thick and decadent "Funfetti"-inspired banana oat pancakes taste as though you are starting your day with a slice of birthday cake, all while being chock-full of nutritious whole ingredients without the additional fillers.
Without the sprinkles, the base recipe for these pancakes calls for only five ingredients: oats, eggs, a banana, a splash of dairy-free milk, and vanilla (optional) — making them versatile, gluten-free, and naturally sweet. While there are a variety of different ways you could flavor these pancakes, my favorite way to enjoy them, by far, is by adding a generous amount of vegan, dye-free rainbow sprinkles to the batter — and a bit more on top while they cook.
First, gather your ingredients.
If using whole oats, blend oats until they've reached a powdery consistency.
Combine all ingredients except the sprinkles in a blender. For optimal blending, we recommend adding the wet ingredients (eggs, banana, milk, and vanilla) to the blender first, then adding the oat flour on top.
Transfer the pancake batter from the blender to a large measuring cup and fold in half of the sprinkles.
Warm a clean skillet until it is very hot, then spray it with nonstick cooking spray right before you pour your first pancake. The hotter your skillet is, the more golden brown and evenly cooked your first pancake will be.
Sprinkle on additional rainbow sprinkles.
Carefully run a spoon or a flat rubber spatula across the uncooked surface of the pancake before flipping to ensure a more even texture on the bottom of the pancake after flipping.
Cook until both sides are golden brown. Stack and top with light whipped cream or your favorite syrup.
For a healthier sprinkles option, use vegan, dye-free rainbow sprinkles.
- 1 cup of plain, uncooked oats or oat flour
1 large banana, ripe (spotty)
1 tablespoon dairy-free milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1/4-1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles, divided
- If you're using whole oats instead of oat flour, blend oats until they've reached a powdery consistency.
- Add eggs, banana, milk, vanilla, salt, and oat flour to a blender. Blend on high until the batter is smooth and fully combined.
- Pour batter into a large measuring cup or a mixing bowl with a spout for pouring.
- Pour half of the sprinkles into the batter and mix thoroughly.
- Warm a clean skillet until it is very hot, spray with nonstick cooking spray, then pour pancake to your desired size.
- Sprinkle on additional rainbow sprinkles.
- Carefully run a spoon or a flat rubber spatula across the uncooked surface of the pancake before flipping, to ensure a more even texture on the bottom of the pancake after flipping.
- Flip and cook until both sides are golden brown.
- Stack and top with light whipped cream or your favorite syrup, and enjoy!
- Breakfast/Brunch, Pancakes/Waffles
- 4 medium-size pancakes
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 10 minutes
- Total Time
- 19 minutes, 59 seconds