There will be several new faces in Hawkins, IN, when season three of Stranger Things races onto Netflix either later this year or in early 2019, and while you may not instantly recognize Maya Hawke when she joins El, Mike, and the rest of the Stranger Things crew, you'll definitely recognize her famous last name.
Before Maya takes her turn on the hit show, here's what you should know about the budding actress.
- She's Hollywood royalty. Acting is in Maya's genes. As the eldest child of movie stars Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman, Maya was poised to get in on the family business. Ethan and Uma had Maya and Maya's younger brother Levon before splitting in 2005.
- She didn't grow up in Hollywood. Maya credits having avoided the trappings of being an "actor's kid" to growing up far from Hollywood. The 19-year-old was raised in Manhattan and on her family's farm in Woodstock, NY.
- She started her career as a model. Like her mother, Maya got her start as a model. She's done an ad for AllSaints, already graced the cover of UK's Tatler magazine, and been featured in British Vogue.
- She's a smart cookie. Maya went to Juilliard School but left after one year to take on the role of Jo March in the BBC's adaptation of Louisa May Alcott's classic novel Little Women.
- Sophia Coppola is a fan. It's been reported that director Sofia Coppola wanted Maya to play Ariel in the live-action adaptation of Disney's The Little Mermaid, but producers wanted a more famous actress for the role, clashing with Sofia and causing the director to exit the project. Sofia previously worked with Maya on a Calvin Klein underwear campaign.
- She's designer Zac Posen's muse. Posen dressed Maya for the 2015 CDFA Awards and has shared photos of the beauty on his Instagram. The two also worked the red carpet at this year's Vanity Fair Oscars party.
We'll get to see more of Maya when she plays Robin on Stranger Things. The character is described as "an alternative girl who is equal parts sharp and playful. Bored with her mundane day job, she just wants a little excitement in her life . . . and gets more than she bargained for when she uncovers a dark secret in Hawkins."