Flowers aren't the only thing blooming this Spring! Miranda Lambert and musician Evan Felker of the neo-folk music band Turnpike Troubadours are reportedly dating! The Turnpike Troubadours have been opening for Miranda's Livin' Like Hippies tour, which launched in January 2018 and will end in June, and sources revealed to the magazine that things began blossoming between Miranda and Evan when they began spending more time together.
Lambert may already be a household name, but something tells us that, given the rising success of Turnpike Troubadours and Evan's own creativity, he's probably not too far behind, so let's get to know him better.
- Evan went to tech school before seriously contemplating a career in music. He was thinking of becoming an electrician and worked in factories, paper mills, and food plants, to name a few places. According to him, "It's experiences like those that gave me some guts. They make me feel confident in my songwriting because I know I'm writing about people who are real. I've had to work with these guys, drink beer with them."
- He is the frontman and guitarist of Turnpike Troubadours. Founded in 2005, the band also created their own label called Bossier City Records in 2007, through which they release their albums. Their music has rock, country, bluegrass, and Cajun influences, and they have five albums to date. In fact, their third album, Goodbye Normal Street, hit the Billboard country chart at number 14, and their fourth eponymous album debuted at number three.
- He married his longtime partner in 2016. The 34-year-old married his girlfriend Staci Nelson in Spain in 2016. However, the pair filed for divorce in February, shortly after the band began touring with Lambert.
- He's an active creative writer and songwriter. He takes on a "narrative direction" by crafting storylines and creating characters within the songs, getting inspiration from the books he's read and experiences he's gone through and heard about. Evan cites Rhett Miller as one of his favorite songwriters and even cowrote a song with him called "A Little Song." He gathers all these influences and memories and channels them in his lyrics and composition. As a matter of fact, Evan's love of poetry as a child gave way to writing songs. Not to mention, he also works on short stories and often uses the ideas behind them as the basis. Evan actually wrote or cowrote the 11 songs in the band's fifth album, A Long Way From Your Heart. No easy feat!
- He has many literary influences. James Joyce, Ernest Hemingway, and William Faulkner are some of the notable influences behind Evan's songwriting. He also reads works of F. Scott Fitzgerald and Breece D'J Pancake. They allow him to tap into his own emotions to put together each song. In fact, in an interview with Songwriters on Process, he said, "And I know it's a cliche, but Hemingway's brevity appeals to me because that's how songwriters write. It's the iceberg theory: we'll give you just a little bit, but it's your job to make meaning of it and plumb the depths."