Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale announced their plans to divorce this week, and it goes without saying that their relationship will always remain a huge part of our adolescence. Over the years, Gwen never shied away from making candid statements about their 13-year marriage, and just this year, she told Cosmopolitan that it was "a miracle" that they were still together. The No Doubt frontwoman was always open and honest about how hard she and Gavin worked on their relationship, and according to the couple's statement, they'll work even harder to make the transition easy on their three sons. As we try to make sense of Gwen and Gavin's sad split, we're looking back on some of the more cryptic declarations that she's made leading up to the breakup.
- "We both want to be married, and we both want to be good parents. So, I feel really proud of what we've done together."
- "There are just so many rewards that come with it. You have to work at it. But, actually, it's fun to get to this point. Because you learn so much about somebody. It's like these wars that go on and then you kind of get through it to the other side, and it's like, Wow."
- "We go through so much together — it's a miracle that we could stay together this long. . . . It's good to have those days when we both do our own things. I think that's what keeps relationships going, when both people can be themselves and have their own individuality."
- "A miracle . . . my biggest accomplishment is my marriage so far. Because it's hard, everyone knows it's hard."
- "Like everybody else we go through our cycles of being so happy and then being like, 'Oh my gosh.' And then being so happy it's crazy."
- "I've been with Gavin for 14 years, and, let's face it, that is a huge accomplishment. I feel so proud of that — it hasn't been the easiest journey."