I Got Acrylic Nails For the First Time in a Decade, and Here's What I Wish I'd Known
Prom night was not only the most anticlimactic experience of my high school career (my evening was, admittedly, very boring), but it was also the last time I had gotten acrylic nails until very recently. I'd asked my manicurist for a full set with french tips . . . and that is all I remember of the beauty treatment.
I was recently inspired to get nail extensions because of the looks I'd been seeing on Instagram — particularly Kylie Jenner's recent looks by her go-to artist, Chaun Legend. I decided to get my first set of acrylics in almost a decade at the very salon that many of the Kardashian-Jenners have gone to for their manicures: Modern Pamper Salon in Los Angeles.
It came with a few hesitations. They were mostly concerns I had surrounding how much the process would damage my nails and how the actual nails would make parts of my everyday routine harder.
Now that I have the manicure, there are a few things I wish I'd known before going through the experience.
- Parts of my routine that I thought would be difficult with tips on (like working out with free weights or, erm, using the restroom) didn't get any harder.
- Typing with acrylic tips, however, took some getting used to.
- Putting in contact lenses was only difficult if I let it be. Once I got over the idea of a pointy nail hovering over my eyeball, I was able to get my lenses in seamlessly.
- Play-fighting with my partner became a dangerous sport (and he has the scratches to prove it).
- The process of getting them was uncomfortable but completely worth it. The tips elongate my fingers (which are otherwise very short) and the design I got is just a delight to look at.
Learn more about what it took to get the acrylic tips ahead.